- •Eponyms provide rich historical context in medical discourse.
- •Thyroid surgery requires excellent understanding of compact and complex anatomy.
- •Eponyms are an efficient way to reference key areas of anatomical importance.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- The operative story of goitre. The author's operation.J Am Med Assoc [Internet]. 1920 Mar 6; 74 (Available from http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?doi=10.1001/jama.1920.02620100053037 Accessed July 24, 2020): 693
- Surgeon's approach to the thyroid gland: Surgical anatomy and the importance of technique.World J Surg. 2000; 24: 891-897
- Editorial: “Ten Commandments” of safe and optimum thyroid surgery.Indian J Surg. 2010; 72: 421-426
- How to do it: The difficult thyroid.Head Neck Oncol [Internet]. 2011 Dec 23; 3 (Available from https://headandneckoncology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1758-3284-3-54 Accessed July 24, 2020): 54
- Eponyms: Errors in clinical practice and scientific writing.Acta Orthop Belg. 2005 Feb; 71: 1-8
- Eponyms and the Nazi era: Time to remember and time for change.Isr Med Assoc J. 2007 Mar; 9: 207-214
- Honest and sensible surgeons: The history of thyroid surgery.Curr Surg. 2004; 61: 213-219
- Historical evolution of thyroid surgery: From the ancient times to the dawn of the 21st century.World J Surg. 2010; 34: 1793-1804
- Incisions; Thyroid Exposure. In: Atlas of Thyroid Surgery.Thieme Publishing Group, New York, NY2009: 4-14
- Comparing hematoma incidence between hemostatic devices in total thyroidectomy: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Endocr Surg. 2019; 161: 770-778
- Emil Theodor Kocher (1841–1917).J Clin Neurosci. 2009; 16: 1552-1554
- Uber kropfextirpation und ihre folgen.Arch Klin Chir. 1883; 29: 254-265
- Surgical anatomy of the external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Langenbeck's.Arch Surg. 2018; 403: 811-823
- A tale of two nerves in thyroid surgery.Indian J Surg. 2017; 79: 375-377
- Following fortune's path.Med J Aust. 2004; 181: 615-619
- The surgeon as an international citizen.ANZ J Surg. 2008; 78: 1070-1075
- Cecil Augustus Joll MRCS FRCS (1885-1945) [Internet].WikiTree. 2018; ([cited 2020 May 31]. Available from https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Joll-31 Accessed September 10, 2020)
- GREAT TEACHERS OF SURGERY IN THE PAST: SIR JAMES BERRY (1860-1946).Br J Surg [Internet]. 1965 May; 52 (Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14286975 Accessed September 11, 2020): 321-323
- Injury to the superior laryngeal branch of the vagus during thyroidectomy: Lesson or myth?.Ann Surg. 2001; 233: 588-593
- The superior laryngeal nerve injury of a famous soprano.Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2013; 33 (Amelita Galli-Curci): 67-71
- Why did Amelita Galli-Curci lose her voice?.Arch Endocrinol Metab. 2019; 63: 314-317
- American thyroid association statement on postoperative hypoparathyroidism: Diagnosis, prevention, and management in adults.Thyroid. 2018; 28: 830-841
- The glands of Owen ... who was Owen?.Surgery. 2016; 159: 7-10
- The death of an Indian rhinoceros.World J Surg. 2010; 34: 1805-1810
- The glands of Owen.J R Soc Med. 2004; 97: 494-495
- The discovery of the parathyroid glands in 1880: Trumph and tragedy of ivar sandstrom.Bull Hist Med. 1981; 55: 558-563
- Surgical management of the recurrent laryngeal nerve in thyroidectomy : American Head and Neck Society Consensus statement.Head Neck. 2018; 40: 663-675
- Biographical Entry: Sir James Berry [Internet].Royal College of Surgeons, 2013 ([cited 2020 Sep 20]. Available from: https://livesonline.rcseng.ac.uk/client/en_GB/lives/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ASSET$002f0$002fSD_ASSET:376015/one?qu=%22rcs%3A+E003832%22&rt=false%7C%7C%7CIDENTIFIER%7C%7C%7CResource+Identifier Accessed September 11, 2020)
- FALLEN IDOLS: SIR JAMES BERRY'S ORATION.Br Med J. 1932 May 14; 1: 904-905
- Sir James Berry's Gold Medal.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1963 Jan; 32: 68
- Anatomic eponyms in neuroradiology: Head and neck.Acad Radiol. 2016; 23: 1319-1332
- Zuckerkandl's Tubercle: Hannibal ad Portas.J Am Coll Surg. 2003; 196: 796-801
- Nebst Bermerkungen uber die Epithelkorperchen des Menschen.Anat Hefte. 1902; I: 61
- Emil Zuckerkandl (1849-1910): Anatomist and Pathologist.Ann Anat. 2008; 190: 33-36
- Emil Zuckerkandl and his delightful little organ.Pathol Annu. 1983; 18: 103-119
John M Lore, Jr. [Internet]. American head and neck society. 2016 [cited 2020 Sep 20]. Available from: https://www.ahns.info/about-ahns/past_presidents/lore/ Accessed July 20, 2020.
Flynn. John M Lore Jr dies; Renowned cancer surgeon. The Buffalo News [Internet]. 2004 Jan; Available from: https://buffalonews.com/2004/01/13/dr-john-m-lore-jr-dies-renowned-cancer-surgeon/ Accessed September 10, 2020.
- A historical vignette: The eponyms of the anatomical triangles of the neck.B-ENT. 2008; 4: 259-268
- Triangle: The surgical anatomy.World J Endocr Surg. 2017; 9: 35
- Remembering Oliver H. Beahrs.Oncology Times. 2006; 28: 33-34
- Obituary.Star Tribune. 2006 Jan;
- The rationale of triangles in relation to thyroid surgery: A proposed unified ‘area of danger’ for safe thyroidectomy.IP Indian J Anat Surg Head, Neck Brain. 2020; 4: 48-51
- Personal Correspondence. 2020 Nov; (1898-1986): 1-3
- Wed. Poughkeepsie Journal [Internet]. 1968 Oct 9; 61 (Available from https://www.newspapers.com/clip/19452764/mrs-samuel-taylor-and-dr-max-m-simon/ Accessed July 19, 2020)
- Recurrent laryngeal nerve in thyroid surgery: Triangle for its recognition and protection.Am J Surg. 1943; 60: 212-220
- Simon Visit Vatican, Receive Audience With Pope.Poughkeepsie Journal [Internet]. 1950 Feb; 44 (Available from https://www.newspapers.com/image/?clipping_id=19587927&fcfToken=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJmcmVlLXZpZXctaWQiOjExNDkyMzgyMSwiaWF0IjoxNjA3OTE5MTYyLCJleHAiOjE2MDgwMDU1NjJ9.K64AA0-JuJBtTTjZwTRxlcLHf5xebcDilrePH1QLbCQ Accessed July 19, 2020)
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.