Parotidectomy and surgical access to the parapharyngeal space are common procedures for the head and neck surgeon, and an understanding of the complex anatomic relationships in this region is critical for safe navigation and management of both benign and malignant processes here. With the use of 3-dimension stereoscopic imaging techniques, parotidectomy and parapharyngeal space dissection are herein reviewed with an emphasis on important anatomic structures and their relationships.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Capsular significance in parotid tumor surgery: Reality and myths of lateral lobectomy.Laryngoscope. 1984; 94: 324-329
- Superficial parotidectomy for benign parotid lesions.Operative Techniques in Otolaryngol. 1996; 7: 315-322
- The operative removal of tumors of the parotid salivary gland.Surgery. 1952; 31: 670-682
- The role of total parotidectomy for metastatic cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma and malignant melanoma.JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014; 140: 548-554
- Incidence of postoperative facial weakness in parotid tumor surgery: A tumor subsite analysis of 794 parotidectomies.BMC Surg. 2019; 19: 199
- Risk of facial palsy and severe Frey's syndrome after conservative parotidectomy for benign disease: analysis of 610 operations.Acta Otolaryngol. 2006; 126: 1104-1109
- Predictors of facial palsy after surgery for benign parotid disease: Multivariate analysis of 626 operations.Head Neck. 2009; 31: 1588-1592
- Facial nerve dysfunction after parotidectomy: The role of local factors.Laryngoscope. 2005; 115: 287-291
- Facial nerve monitoring during parotidectomy: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015; 152: 631-637
- Minor parotidectomy complications: A systematic review.Laryngoscope. 2021; 131: 571-579
- The incidence and management of sialocele after parotidectomy.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009; 140: 871-874
- Factors influencing sialocele or salivary fistula formation postparotidectomy.Head Neck. 2017; 39: 387-391
- Impact of extent of parotid resection on postoperative wound complications: A prospective study.Head Neck. 2015; 37: 64-68
- First bite syndrome: Incidence, risk factors, treatment, and outcomes.Laryngoscope. 2012; 122: 1773-1778
- Dermal fat grafting to reconstruct the parotidectomy defect normalizes facial attention.Laryngoscope. 2021; 131: E124-E131
Published online: October 25, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.