Feminizing frontal cranioplasty (FFC) is perhaps the most significant, single gender-affirming surgical procedure. It consists of forehead/glabella bone contouring and/or frontal sinus set back, orbital osteoplasty, anterior hairline rounding, hairline or scalp advancement, and brow lifting. The feminizing frontal cranioplasty is a safe and effective means to produce ideal patient results for gender-affirming facial surgery. Herein we describe an open approach to the frontal cranioplasty useful for facial feminization surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Facial determinants of female gender and feminizing forehead cranioplasty.Laryngoscope. 2010; 121: 250-261
- The role of eyebrows in face recognition.Perception. 2003; 32: 285-293
- What gives a face its gender?.Perception. 1993; 22: 829-840
- Study of frontal hairline patterns for natural design and restoration.Surg Radiol Anat. 2017; 29: 679-684
- Naturally occurring female hairline patterns.Dermatol Surg. 2009; 35: 907-913
- CT measurement of the frontal sinus - Gender differences and implications for frontal cranioplasty.J Cranio Maxill Surg. 2010; 38: 494-500
- Safety of modified coronal approach with dissection deep to temporalis fascia for facial nerve preservation.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015; 152: 655-660
- Scalp advancement for transgender women: Closing the gap.Laryngoscope. 2020; 130: 1431-1435https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.28370
- Cessation of hairline recession following open forehead rejuvenation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014; 133: 1e-6e
- Hairline lowering.Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. 2013; 21: 479-486
Published online: January 18, 2023
© 2023 Published by Elsevier Inc.