Chondrolaryngoplasty (often referred to as a “tracheal shave” by the public) aims to decrease the gender dysphoria associated with the anterior prominence of the thyroid cartilage. The fullness in the anterior neck caused by the “Adam's apple” commonly contributes to misgendering of trans females. Transcervical approaches have traditionally been utilized for resection, although recently, transoral techniques have been described. Complications after transcervical approach chondrolaryngoplasty are uncommon and typically include mild, temporary dysphonia, dysphagia, or scar. It is vital to identify and protect the anterior attachment of the true vocal folds during this procedure to prevent disastrous permanent changes to the voice. Nevertheless, chondrolaryngoplasty remains a highly safe and effective procedure.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
World Professional Association for Transgender Health - The Standards of Care 7TH VERSION. http://www.phsa.ca/transgender/Documents/Glossary%20of%20Terms%20-%203%20sources.pdf (Access date: 5/28/22).
- Chondrolaryngoplasty for appearance.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1990; 86 (464-9; discussion 470)
- Chondrolaryngoplasty-thyroid cartilage reduction.Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. 2019; 27: 267-272https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsc.2019.01.005
- Gender reassignment: feminization and masculinization of the neck.Clin Plast Surg. 2018; 45: 635-645https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cps.2018.06.006
- A contemporary and novel use of thyroid cartilage for structural grafting in esthetic rhinoplasty: a case report.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019; 77 (:639.e1-639.e7)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2018.10.019
- Facial feminization surgery - middle and inferior thirds.Ann Chir Plast Esthet. 2017; 62 (Chirurgie de feminisation du visage - tiers moyen et inferieur): 122-130https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anplas.2016.12.003
- Scarless neck feminization: transoral transvestibular approach chondrolaryngoplasty.Facial Plast Surg Aesthet Med. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1089/fpsam.2020.0021
- Chondrolaryngoplasty under general anesthesia using a flexible fiberoptic laryngoscope and laryngeal mask airway.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008; 134: 704-708https://doi.org/10.1001/archotol.134.7.704
- Esthetic reduction of the thyroid cartilage: a systematic review of chondrolaryngoplasty.JPRAS Open. 2019; 22: 27-32https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpra.2019.07.002
- Endoscopically facilitated reduction laryngochondroplasty.Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2003; 5: 345-348https://doi.org/10.1001/archfaci.5.4.345
- Patient satisfaction after aesthetic chondrolaryngoplasty.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018; 6: e1877https://doi.org/10.1097/GOX.0000000000001877
- Transoral chondrolaryngoplasty: Scarless reduction of the Adam's apple.OTO Open. 2020; 4 (2020/07/012473974X20938299. Erratum in: OTO Open. 2020 Aug 31;4(3):2473974X20952811. PMID: 32704609; PMCID: PMC7359653.)https://doi.org/10.1177/2473974X20938299
- Chondrolaryngoplasty for transgender patients: feasibility of a scar-free approach.Eur Arch of Oto-Rhino-Laryngol. 2020; 277 (2020/08/01): 2381-2384https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-020-06020-9
- Clinical feasibility and efficacy of the externally scarless transoral chondrolaryngoplasty.Facial Plastic Surg & Aesthetic Med. 2022; 24: S41-S43https://doi.org/10.1089/fpsam.2021.0295
- Visualization of the glottis through a laryngeal mask during medialization laryngoplasty.The Laryngoscope. 1998; 108: 769-771https://doi.org/10.1097/00005537-199805000-00026
- Dysphagia after gender affirming chondrolaryngoplasty (tracheal shave): A survey study.Facial Plast Surg Aesthet Med. 2022; 24: S47-S49https://doi.org/10.1089/fpsam.2021.0214
Published online: January 18, 2023
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.